It is impossible to become an A student without knowing how to write an essay since it is one of the tasks that are often assigned to students, no matter if they study in a high school, college, or university. Does essay writing seem to be difficult to you? Do not know what to start with and what points to focus on? Hold one for a moment; we have collected the most effective and straight-to-the-point tips that will guide you. Keep reading to become a real profi in academic writing regardless of its topic and discipline it covers.
Basic features of essay writing
Essay writing is the most popular assignment among teachers. It allows the one to clearly see and estimate the student’s knowledge of a discipline/ topic; his ability to work with the material, structure his thoughts, and state on paper. Although no strict rules on how to write an essay are applied, there are still some basic standards to be followed by a writer.
- Structure – your academic paper should consist of an introduction, body, and conclusion.
- Thesis statement – there should be a thesis in a paper representing your point of view that you are going to prove further in the text.
- Tone of voice – the vocabulary, language, and formulations you use should be consistent with the topic being under discussion and discipline it is for.
- Logical connection – jumping from one point to another argument is never a good approach; there instead should be a smooth connection between all the statements and paragraphs.
Of course, depending on an essay type, there are other distinctive features, which you need to keep in mind when working on an assignment. Here are some of the most popular essay types you may be assigned with:
- Compare and contrast;
That’s why before you start working on a task, we recommend you checking a document type with your teacher to be on a safe side.
General essay structure
Regardless of an essay type, there are general academic paper structure rules to stick to. As mentioned about, your college paper should consist of an introductory paragraph, a body, and a conclusion – all logically connected and referred to the theme you are covering.
How to work on an essay introduction
The first one-two paragraphs of your paper should introduce the reader to the problem/ topic you are writing about and demonstrate its importance/ topicality. Here you are to provide some background information, reasoning why you are writing about the theme, and explain why the one should further read the text. As a rule, an introduction cannot be longer that 1-2 paragraphs and contain a thesis statement. The latter is the representation of your point of view and a message you want to deliver to your audience. The clearer and info-covering a thesis is, the better.
How to work on an essay thesis statement
Teachers usually start checking out an essay with reading and analyzing a thesis statement, which is the most crucial part of your paper. These are to be straight-to-the-point, easy-to-understand, and informative. Thus, when writing a thesis, your main goal is to cover the maximum of the information you are going to write about and make sure to corresponds to the main points. The best place to put your thesis statement is an essay introduction; however, restating the same in a conclusion is a recommended technique.
How to work on an essay body
A paper body serves as the main data repositorium. It is a part where you provide all the information to cover a theme and support a thesis statement. What’s important here is that you group and structure all the data, highlight the main point, and dedicate a separate paragraph for a single argument. Ensure there is a logical connection between all the paragraphs and use transition word/ bridges for this purpose.
How to work on an essay conclusion
The last paragraph of your paper is to sum up all your arguments and lead a reader to a conclusion. That’s why it is so important the there is a logical connection with a body and that a reader can again find a thesis statement without going back to the introduction.
Essay writing process
Having a structured and step-by-step approach to essay writing make the task easier. Here are some of the basic steps you need to take to deliver a brilliant paper:
- Topic analysis;
- Data research;
- Argument preparation/ structuring;
- Thesis statement formulation;
- Outline development;
- Paper draft writing;
- Paper proofreading/ editing.
We in no case recommend skipping the last step. Even the most deep and consistent essay will bring you a poor grade if it has a mistake. Therefore, it is so important to take a break after a draft is ready and attentively re-read a piece.
Essay writing tips
On top of the above rules, there are some basic tips that will make essay writing a source of A grades for you:
- Prepare an outline before you start writing;
- Write an introduction only after all other parts are ready;
- Write down several variations of a thesis statement and then choose the most effective one;
- Write a thesis only after extensive research;
- Write main points (arguments) on separate pieces of paper so that you could mix them and change their order;
- Start your writing with an essay body;
- Write a paper draft that you further proofread and improve;
- Take a break and re-read an essay draft in a few hours/ days;
- Ask your friend/ relative to become an editor for your paper.
Having coped with the task just once and knowing what it requires, you will spend less and less time on the same assignment in the future. However, it is your debut and you have no desire to waste your time, you can always address the task to real professionals of this business. Writers from our service are on your side and can accomplish tasks of any complexity and topic. Order qualified help and do not be worried about the approaching deadline!